Butte County Recovers-The official website for Butte County disaster response and recovery

Resources and Assistance

Self Service Water Refill Stations

South Feather Water and Power has offered two self-service filling stations for residents to fill clean, five gallon containers to access potable water for drinking and cooking. These filling stations are available 24/7 at the following locations.

2310 Oro-Quincy Highway
234 Kelly Ridge Road

Residents will need to bring their own, clean five gallon container. Containers used for collecting potable water should be made of food grade, non-absorbent and cleanable material. Containers used for collection of potable water should NOT have been used for the storage or collection of items/chemicals other than food and potable water and should be in good condition.

North Complex West Zone Potable Water Filling Station Container Safety


Disaster CalFresh food benefits are available.

Even if you are not eligible for CalFresh food benefits, you may be eligible for Disaster CalFresh food benefits.

You may be eligible for Disaster CalFresh food benefits if you lived or worked in Butte County September 7-October 6, and:

  • Spent money because of the wildfire, including paying for a hotel, gas, or other evacuation expenses;  or
  • Lost food because of the wildfire or a related power outage; or
  • Lost money from work because of the wildfire; or
  • Spent money because of damage to your home or business

How do I apply?

You can PRE-REGISTER for Disaster CalFresh food benefits by phone between October 21-23 and October 26-27!

  • Call or text (916)602-3313 to pre-register between October 21-23 and October 26-27.
  • If you pre-register, Butte County will contact you by phone between October 28 and November 5 to complete the Disaster CalFresh application and interview process.
  • If approved, Butte County will tell you when and where to pick up your EBT card, which you will use like a debit card to purchase food.

You do not have to PRE-REGISTER. Pre-registration is not the same as an application. If you choose not to pre-register, you can still apply for Disaster CalFresh food benefits between October 28-30 and November 2-5.


As a result of the North Complex Fire, a Hot Foods waiver has been approved for affected CalFresh households in Butte and surrounding counties.

This means that current CalFresh recipients in Butte or other effected counties may now use their benefits to purchase hot and/or prepared foods through October 22, 2020. Counties included in the waiver are Butte County and the surrounding counties of Glenn, Plumas, Sutter, Tehama and Yuba. If you are not a CalFresh recipient but are in need of food assistance in Butte County due to losses incurred as a result of the fires, you may qualify for Disaster CalFresh assistance. Please call 1-877-410-8803 for more information.

Computer Access

All Butte County library branches, except Biggs, have a limited number of computers available to use for FEMA application, insurance and other related paperwork. There is no need to be a library member; guest passes will be available allowing impacted residents computer access for up to an hour. Computer usage and Wi-Fi access for general purposes remains suspended.

The Butte County Library Literacy Coach will also be available to provide Wi-Fi access to residents at Lakeside Market located at 5250 Olive Highway, every Thursday from 9AM-Noon, beginning September 24th.

To comply with COVID-19 reopening guidelines, and for the safety of library staff and patrons, social distancing measures will be in place. Library patrons are required to wear face coverings, in accordance with California Department of Public Health face covering guidance. Butte County Library staff members are available by phone at 530.552.5652, Tuesday through Saturday from 10AM-5PM. For more information please visit www.buttecounty.net/bclibrary.

USDA Fire Recovery Assistance

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has multiple agencies that provide financial and /or technical assistance to help farmers, ranchers, and rural landowners recover from natural disasters, such as wildfires.

American Red Cross

If your home sustained major damage or was destroyed due to the recent California wildfires, you may qualify for financial assistance. To start your application, dial 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767) and press option 4. Due to amount of callers, there might be some delay on reaching the call agent. Please remain on the line to complete your application.


FEMA’s individual assistance program provides grants to help eligible survivors with financial assistance that may include rent, home repair, home replacement and other disaster-related needs such as childcare, medical and dental expenses.

Apply for disaster assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency online at www.disasterassistance.gov; by downloading the FEMA app to a smartphone or tablet; or by calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) between 7 a.m. and 10:30 p.m. Pacific.

FEMA is always concerned about the welfare of disaster survivors. Until recently, its inspectors conducted in-person inspections of properties. FEMA is currently conducting them by phone due to COVID-19 and the need to protect the health of survivors and agency personnel.  More info: Remote FEMA Property Inspections

United Policy Holders

Through the United Policy Holders Roadmap to Recovery program fire survivors can access free, trustworthy help navigating the process of return ing to a wildfire damaged area, repairing and replacing damaged and destroyed property, and collecting all available insurance funds.


Close window