Butte County Recovers-The official website for Butte County disaster response and recovery

FEMA Temporary Housing Update-January 21, 2020

FEMA’s Temporary Housing mission is designed to ensure eligible disaster-affected individuals and families are provided temporary housing after their home is destroyed by a federally-declared disaster. FEMA’s Housing Assistance can be used to rent temporary housing while survivors wait for permanent housing or are able to repair or rebuild their disaster-damaged home. Direct Housing provides housing in Travel Trailers or Manufactured Housing Units in commercial or FEMA group sites as a temporary housing solution.

Housing Assistance: Through FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program, as of January 14, 2020,  $53.4 million in Housing Assistance has been provided to 7,010 Butte County households displaced by the Camp Fire.

Direct Housing: Currently, 38 households are being housed in Travel Trailers (TTs) and Manufactured Housing Units in commercial campgrounds and RV Parks being leased by FEMA. Additionally, 376 households have been placed in Travel Trailers and Manufactured Housing Units (MHU) at FEMA temporary housing communities in Oroville, Gridley and Chico. That’s a total of 414 households being housed in FEMA Temporary Housing.

Temporary Direct Housing Sites being Utilized by FEMA as of January 15, 2020:

TT= Travel Trailer Pad, MHU = Manufactured Housing Unit.
"Licensed in" means that an applicant has received keys and is moving in.

*Butte County – 6 Commercial Locations - 16 TT Licensed In , 11 MHU Licensed In, 1 UFAS Licensed In
*Bidwell Canyon State Park Commercial - 10 TT Licensed In

Glenn County – 2 Commercial Locations - 3 TT Licensed In
Sacramento County – 1 Commercial Location - 0 TT Licensed In
Sutter County – 1 Commercial Location - 0 TT Licensed In
Tehama County – 2 Commercial Locations - 4 TT Licensed In
Yuba County – 2 Commercial Locations - 1 MHU  Licensed In

*Bidwell Canyon State Park is part of Butte County

FEMA Group Sites:

Hegan and Aztec - 72 Total Licensed In (61 MHU) (11 UFAS) - view site details
Silver Dollar Fairground - 48 TT Licensed In

Rosewood - 37 Total Licensed In (25 MHU) (12 UFAS)- view site details

Gridley Industrial Park - 224 Total Licensed In (203 MHU) (21 UFAS)  - view site details

The only process by which to obtain one of these sites is through being registered and verified with FEMA If your housing situation has changed since you originally registered and need to update information, please contact www.disasterassistance.gov or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).

For more information on FEMA Temporary Housing sites please click here.

Federal, state and local partners have collaborated to provide direct housing solutions to individuals and families most severely impacted by the 2018 California wildfires. The following questions and answers address common questions regarding MHUs and FEMA group sites.

Click here for a printable version of these FAQs.

The living situation prior to the disaster is the living situation that is expected to be post disaster within the program confines.

  • FEMA accepts one application per household.
  • A roommate or boarder can obtain temporary housing assistance separate from the household, if they can demonstrate a commercial relationship OR a formal agreement. The survivor will need one of the following documents for their case: o
    • Pre-disaster rent receipts, cancelled checks, or money orders for the damaged dwelling;
    • Pre-disaster lease, landlord’s statement, or rental agreement for the damaged dwelling;
    • or Pre-disaster major utility bills (water, electricity, or gas) in the roommate’s or boarder’s name for service at the damaged dwelling.
  • FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance (ONA) program can help offset the cost of a funeral, medical, dental, automobile repair and other needs that may not be covered under insurance.
  • Also, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the primary source of disaster recovery funds, excluding insurance, by offering low-interest disaster loans to businesses, private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters.

Not at this time.

  • FEMA does not own commercial parks.
  • FEMA temporary housing communities are strictly for FEMA MHUs and travel trailers.
  • These sites are designed to meet federal, state, county and local codes/ordinances and are being built to allow for a specific number of THUs.

Yes, under certain conditions.

  • The property must pass an onsite inspection and state/local environmental tests, which could include soil testing.
  • The site must also meet all state, county and local codes and ordinances, along with meeting federal requirements for electric, water, sewage, etc.
  • The property must be large enough to place the THU without impeding construction.
  • Survivors should work with FEMA case managers for solutions.
  • From the moment survivors takes occupancy of a THU, Recertification Advisers work with them to create a personal recovery plan and identify the steps needed to reach their goals (ex: rebuild, relocation, etc.).
  • FEMA Recertification Advisors also work one-on-one with survivors to link them with federal, state and local partners who can offer available resources.
  • As stated in the Stafford Act, all FEMA disaster assistance is provided without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, sex (including sexual harassment), religion, national origin, age, disability, limited English proficiency, economic status, or retaliation. FEMA’s primary goal is to help survivors find safe, secure, and sustainable housing
  • FEMA gives preference to survivors who have no other housing resources available.
  • Survivors are required to provide needed documentation for their case, including:
    • Documents that allow FEMA to verify the applicant’s identity.
    • The applicant’s necessary expenses and serious needs which have been directly caused by the declared disaster.
    • The applicant proof of occupancy (renter/lease) or ownership (owner/deed or mortgage contract).
    • Housing damage or loss, verified by FEMA, through an onsite inspection.
    • FEMA has already identified California wildfire survivors who qualify for temporary housing.
    • Survivors whose housing situation has changed, should contact 800-621-3362 to update their case.
  • FEMA projects nearly 1,000 Temporary Housing Units (THUs) as part of the housing mission for survivors of the 2018 California wildfires. That includes:
    • Nearly 600 THUs in FEMA temporary housing communities (522 Manufactured Housing Units [MHU] and 61 travel trailers.)
    • 371 units placed on pads leased by FEMA in commercial sites outside the burn area.
    • 14 units are projected to be placed in a commercial site inside the burn area.
  • Four temporary housing communities are planned for Butte County. They are Rosewood in Oroville, Silver Dollar Campground and Hagen-Aztec in Chico, and Gridley Industrial Park in Gridley.
  • As of June 11, 40 survivor households had moved into manufactured housing units at the Rosewood Group site, the first of the four temporary housing communities to be completed.
  • FEMA Expects to begin licensing in households into 61 travel trailers at Silver Dollar the week of June 10.
  • Currently, 337 households are occupying a Temporary Housing Unit (THU) (numbers fluctuate daily).
  • FEMA continues to work with commercial park owners across Butte County and contiguous counties to find available space for the placement of THUs.

FEMA embarks on a housing mission only after every other housing option has been reviewed and exhausted. In Butte County:

  • FEMA’s primary goal is to help survivors find safe, secure, and sustainable housing.
  • There are no unoccupied, readily available sites for temporary housing communities; therefore, the sites must be constructed, which includes pouring the foundation for each unit, contracting electrical, sewer or septic and clearing any air and/or water-quality issues.
  • All construction sites have a process: FEMA completes building permit applications and follows state and local ordinances, along with adhering to federal requirements, to install MHUs.
  • FEMA, with assistance from federal partners, will construct, manage and demobilize the temporary housing communities.
  • Weather delays have caused significant challenges to remove debris at and around the burn site.
  • There have also been a few locations that could have supported temporary housing but were not supported by neighbors. Our efforts have not progressed as we planned early in the disaster recovery in part because of strong opposition to emergency temporary housing communities.

FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program does not provide food assistance. Persons affected by a disaster and who need food assistance can apply for benefits through the CalFresh Program. For information, call 877-847-3663 or visit benefitscal.org. For more CalFresh information, visit the California Department of Social Services website.

You must contact FEMA for written approval prior to landscaping.


Painting or otherwise altering the interior or exterior appearance of your MHU is not allowed. However, you can make small adjustments that would qualify as normal wear-and-tear, such as putting small nails in the wall to hang picture frames.


FEMA conducts periodic monthly inspections to make sure the stove, fridge, and heating/air conditioning system work properly, the unit sits level on its blocks, pipes have no leaks, and the doors do not jam, among other things. If you have issues with an appliance or the MHU, call 800-335-8546.


FEMA MHUs are not equipped with a security system. If you need a security system installed, you must contact FEMA for written approval to install a security system.


Satellite dishes and receivers cannot be installed on your MHU. Your provider must install the dish or receiver using a separate, temporary pole. You are responsible for any additional fees associated with the installation.


FEMA does not pay for cable or internet services. You can start by calling your preferred provider to see if they install cable and internet in mobile homes. If they do, then they are authorized to drill holes necessary for running cable in accordance with their normal installation procedure. If your provider charges an installation fee, you are responsible for paying it. You are also responsible for all monthly and one-time only charges associated with the installation of cable and internet for the MHU.


While washers and dryers can be hooked-up in the MHU, you will have to purchase or provide those appliances yourself.


FEMA is providing power and all utilities to all group sites. Power and electricity for the Gridley site will be managed by FEMA through the GSA lease of contracted services. If you lose power, notify the Group site management office located on the property. If outside business hours, call the maintenance number provided.

If you lose cable or internet, call your service provider directly.


One assigned parking spot per MHU. Guest parking will also be available.


You can keep up to two domesticated animals (cat or dog) in your MHU. They must wear ID tags at all times and be up to date on their shots. Pets cannot be left unattended outside of the MHU and must be leashed at all times. No pens or kennels are allowed outside of the MHU. You are responsible for cleaning up after your pet, both inside and outside of your MHU.

As well, clause “Q” of the Direct Temporary Licensing Agreement addresses vicious animals


FEMA reserves the right to take possession of the unit if the occupant is non-compliant or in violation of the Revocable License Agreement. Violations may result in penalty fees and or termination of the agreement.


Any items or substances related to illegal or criminal activity are prohibited in and around your MHU. Additionally, you cannot store or use grills, fire pits, fireworks, propane tanks or other combustible substances inside or outside of your MHU.

Despite cannabis laws in the various states, cannabis is illegal under federal law. The federal government regulates drugs through the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) (21 U.S.C. § 811). Under federal law, cannabis is treated like every other controlled substance, such as cocaine and heroin. Under the CSA, cannabis is classified as a Schedule 1 drug. Therefore, cannabis activity in and around FEMA housing is a violation of federal law and would be a basis for federal criminal and/or civil action.


All occupants must agree to comply with FEMA’s rules, terms, and conditions for occupying the Temporary Housing Unit (THU) before they move in by signing FEMA’s Revocable License Agreement. The Revocable License Agreement documents the applicant’s acceptance of government property for temporary housing based on FEMA’s terms and conditions included in the license. When applicants fail to comply with FEMA’s rules, terms, and conditions, FEMA may terminate their eligibility to remain in the THU.


An applicant must have applied for assistance from FEMA; proven occupancy of a dwelling that was destroyed or suffered major damages within and directly caused by the event; and FEMA has determined there are no other housing resources to meet the family’s needs.


FEMA re-evaluates an applicant’s eligibility on a periodic basis, usually monthly, and the Direct Temporary Housing Assistance eligibility for the entire period of assistance is subject to the occupant continuing to meet recertification requirements.

Applicants must actively work towards making or achieving a long-term housing plan.

• Applicants must accept long term housing options if made available.

• An applicant may need to surrender the MHU if a long-term housing option is turned down.

• Applicants must adhere to all terms and conditions of the license agreement.


Only those individuals named on your FEMA Manufactured Housing Unit Revocable License and Receipt for Government Property (Revocable License) Agreement can stay in your MHU with you. With FEMA’s approval, you may be able to add or remove occupants from your Revocable License Agreement within seven days of signing.

Yes, FEMA works with city, state and other federal agencies to identify appropriate sites for MHUs to beplaced to meet the needs of survivors. FEMA also works with the individual survivor to place thatindividual/family according to their identified needs. FEMA expects applicants to accept the first offer ofavailable alternate housing that meets their household’s needs.

Yes. The MHU will be removed. FEMA will leave behind any installed infrastructure that is installed during the site buildout.

FEMA housing assistance for the temporary group site may be provided for a period of up to 18 monthsbeginning on November 12, 2018, the date of the President’s Major Disaster declaration, and ending on May12, 2020 for FEMA-4407-DR-CA.

An individual must meet general conditions to be eligible to receive FEMA housing assistance:

•FEMA must be able to verify the applicant’s identity.

•The applicant’s necessary expenses and serious needs are directly caused by a declared disaster.

•The applicant proof of occupancy (renter) or ownership (owner).

•Housing damage or loss must be verified by FEMA through the onsite inspection.


Close window